From the moon to the glacier
The day began like any other: Setup - Testing - Setback - Repair. We were able to hand over two ice core samples to the VU Amsterdam team before a screw broke due to incorrect assembly. Meanwhile improvisation is one of our top skills, so we got rid of this problem within an hour. After lunch we met with one of our big sponsors. Nico Steinert from Maxon Motors took the road to the Klein-Matterhorn to visit our project. We were very happy to present our project and the motor sponsored by Maxon Motor.
But the highlight of the day and the whole Field Campaign was still to come. At 3 p.m. the first VIPs were flown to the Klein-Matterhorn by helicopter. One hour later others followed. We had the great honour to introduce our project to the following people and to talk to them in more detail:
- Harrison Schmitt: The most recent living person to have walked on the Moon!
- Al Worden: Most isolated human being while orbiting the moon in the command module!
- Gerry Griffin: Apollo Flight Director
- Juri Baturin: Russian cosmonaut
- Claude Nicollier: First astronaut from Switzerland
- Bob Williams: Hubble Space Telescope Institute Director
- ... and many more
It is impossible to put into words what a great honour it was to meet these great personalities, to talk to them and to present our project. The feedback was consistently great. They were amazed by our visions of new space exploration. There isn't anything to add after this extraordinary event. Enjoy the pictures!